Text Size




Faces of Stroke - Logo 100px  transparent

David V.


Everything changed

It's been 4 years since a stroke hit the left side of my brain.

I don't know why a clot traveled there. But traveled it did, and I was paralyzed in my right side and couldn't speak.

I went to Palomar Hospital and was in intensive care for 1 week, and on the rehab floor for 3 wks.

The doctors said to my husband, Greg, that my stroke was massive. In fact, people often say strokes are massive. I don't know why this term is used so often. Perhaps massive is used because whenever an important part of a person's brain dies, that is a massive loss. Or, maybe it's used as a polite way of saying, you will never be the same again, because when a part of your brain dies, a part of YOU has died with it.

In any case, my 'massive' stroke resulted in lots of challenges up and down my body ...

my right leg ended up very weak. Happily, I relearned to walk by the time I left the hospital.

my right arm and hand didn't come back for a year. They are now getting stronger, but they still have a problem with spasticity and weakness. So, now I am trying to be left-handed!

My speech had 4 conditions: Dysphagia, Dysarthria, Aphasia, and Apraxia.

My dysphagia lasted only about 2 weeks.

My dysarthria lasted about 6 months.

My aphasia lasted about 2 years.

And my apraxia is 4 years and counting

When I had my stroke, everything changed for me in an instant. I used to have a job that I was good at -- but now I knew that I would never work again and all my work friends would drift away.

Instead of my old job which I loved, my new job became my rehab, which I wasn't prepared for.

I had always prided myself as a good writer, but now I left out small but not unimportant -- words.

I had always been a good conversationalist but now what came out of my mouth didn't sound like me and often wasn't even the sounds I intended to say.

I had always loved being around people but now I was afraid to order at a restaurant.

I had a PhD but now when I tried to speak, people sometimes thought I was retarded.

I had always loved word games and was a good speller at them but now because I couldn't remember how to say a word, I had a hard time spelling it.

When I left the hospital, I came home to a life that was far different and far more difficult.

At home, everything had to be judged whether it was good practice for me, unsafe for me, or impossible for me.

Every footstep I tried to take, I had to think which leg was I going to lead off with, how was I going to get there; and would I be have enough stamina to get back.

Everything I picked up, I had to think about how was I going hold it; which hand was I going to use; and would I drop it.

Everything I wanted to say, I had to first remember the words and then how to make my mouth say those words.

It was all too exhausting and depressing.

Back then, I figured all this wasn't permanent, that eventually I would recover. That was only partly true.

A lot of these things have improved in the last 4 years. I can drive again; I can use the computer again; I can sign my own name again, and I can make myself understood again.

But it's also true that everything has permanently changed for me. This is my new normal David 2.0. This new me is a quieter me, a less active me.

But I'm trying to make the new me into a person that makes me proud and does some good.


All active news articles

Share by

Display of the Faces of Stroke stories does not imply National Stroke Association's endorsement of any product, treatment, service or entity. National Stroke Association strongly recommends that people ask a healthcare professional about diagnosis and treatment questions before using any product, treatment or service. The views expressed through the stories reflect those of the authors and do not reflect the opinion of National Stroke Association.

Printer Friendly Version

National Stroke Association

9707 E. Easter Lane, Suite B
Centennial, CO 80112

Stroke Help Line logo