Jacqueline O.


I work at a state university as a Professor of Human Services and, I am a deacon at a local Baptist church. My husband, Joe, and I have been married for 35 years. In February of 2009, I became a stroke survivor! My stroke happened gradually and took three to four days before we knew that something serious was happening to me. My headache and muddled thinking sent us to our doctor. After he looked at my MRI, he said to us that I had an ischemic stroke and sent me immediately to the hospital. Fortunately, my stroke did not affect my arm and leg much except for weakness and fatigue. It still required several months of therapy, especially in speech and cognitive thinking, to help replace what I had lost. It also required a change in my life style and drugs to get my blood pressure and diabetes under control. I took a year's leave from work and gradually returned. Today, I have less administrative responsibilities beyond my teaching assignments, have learned to listen to when my body needs rest periods, lean on my Lord daily for His strength and have redefined my day to day life style. We attend a Discovery Circle support group where we have learned the motto: "To discover is to live in the present; not to dwell on what might have been or what might be, but to live with hope this day.”  My stroke was a revelation. I now live a new and different life and am thankful that my stroke has given me a new and meaningful connection to God.


All active news articles

Display of the Faces of Stroke stories does not imply National Stroke Association's endorsement of any product, treatment, service or entity. National Stroke Association strongly recommends that people ask a healthcare professional about diagnosis and treatment questions before using any product, treatment or service. The views expressed through the stories reflect those of the authors and do not reflect the opinion of National Stroke Association.


© 2019 National Stroke Association, All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized Use is Prohibited.