Text Size




Faces of Stroke - Logo 100px  transparent

Rebecca F.


I had a stroke September 17, 2008. I had multiple clots throughout my brain. I could not talk or write.  I tried to speak, and nothing came out. Steve, my husband, called 911. In the hospital they wanted me to sign my name (signature) and I could not do that. I was in the hospital for eight days, and from there I went to a rehabilitation hospital. I improved my ability to walk; however, the right side of my body (hand & foot) is still not 100%. In less than a month from the stroke I was able to ride my horse, only walking at first. This was a great accomplishment for me, and gave me great joy.

I am a member of MiCMO (Michigan Competitive Mounted Orienteering). This is a competitive trail riding organization. I competed in 2009 individually, and placed second in both courses (short and long courses). Six months after the stroke, I continued singing in the choir at church. It was a stretch for me, and there were days I wanted to quit.

I could not quit, I stand on the scripture: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13.

I started volunteering in April 2009 at my local YMCA with the special needs program. It is wonderful to help the kids, and I understand disabilities. I still run my Mary Kay business. I am in a BNI group (Business Networking). They have been very supportive.


All active news articles

Share by

Display of the Faces of Stroke stories does not imply National Stroke Association's endorsement of any product, treatment, service or entity. National Stroke Association strongly recommends that people ask a healthcare professional about diagnosis and treatment questions before using any product, treatment or service. The views expressed through the stories reflect those of the authors and do not reflect the opinion of National Stroke Association.

Printer Friendly Version

National Stroke Association

9707 E. Easter Lane, Suite B
Centennial, CO 80112

Stroke Help Line logo