Text Size




Faces of Stroke - Logo 100px  transparent

Georganna D.


Didn't know what hit me

October is my favorite time of the year. I help with a haunted theme park in my home town and we were getting ready for opening night and 9/30 changed my life.
We were driving to the park (thankfully I was a passenger) and something set me back in the seat and I couldn't move. The left side of my face felt like it was pulling back and I couldn't move my body at all. I felt like I was trapped! When we arrived at the park, I slowly exited the vehicle and I could walk, talk and was able to move but had a HORRIBLE headache and was extremely tired. I went on with my night, plugging and pushing away until 2 am. The entire weekend, I had a horrible headache, exhausted and felt like I could pass out. My left arm, face and leg started tingling but I kept telling myself it was because I was tired.
Two weeks later, I was driving to the store and all of a sudden my vision was split and it felt like I had a spear run into my eye. I covered my eye and turned the car around to head home. Thankfully I wasn't very far. When I got home I was weak when I got out of my vehicle and don't remember coming into the house. My husband asked me what happened and I told him.

At that point I didn't have my insurance coverage and knew I couldn't afford to go to a doctor. I kept having headaches, tingling (like my left arm, leg and face fell asleep) and started dropping everything that I held in my left hand. All I wanted to do was sleep because my head hurt so bad.

November 1, I was able to go to the doctor and tell him what my symptoms were. The doctor thought I was experiencing MS or Fibromyalgia so he sent me for an MRI. He told me to come back to his office in an hour and he should have the results.

I went back into the office and I sat there waiting. The doctor came in and was crying. That's when I found out that I had a stroke. He was very upset and couldn't believe that I was mobile because of the gray matter damage that was done. He got me an appointment with a Neurologist immediately and that's when I found out I had 2 major strokes in two weeks. By the grace of GOD I wasn't paralyzed, I have considerable weakness in my left side and Physical Therapy is helping.

I am determined not to let my condition define who I am but I will define my condition. I will continue to push forward and work hard in my recovery. Hopefully be able to inspire others that there is hope and don't ever give up or quit.


All active news articles

Share by

Display of the Faces of Stroke stories does not imply National Stroke Association's endorsement of any product, treatment, service or entity. National Stroke Association strongly recommends that people ask a healthcare professional about diagnosis and treatment questions before using any product, treatment or service. The views expressed through the stories reflect those of the authors and do not reflect the opinion of National Stroke Association.

Printer Friendly Version

National Stroke Association

9707 E. Easter Lane, Suite B
Centennial, CO 80112

Stroke Help Line logo