Text Size




Faces of Stroke - Logo 100px  transparent

Daniel B.


Our Miracle

Daniel Michael was born on September 11th. When I realized I was going into labor that morning, I was a little disheartened as I didn't want the birth of my son to be associated with such a painful day in American history. However, I decided to look at it from the viewpoint that we would celebrate the miracle of life and that wonderful things happen no matter what date the calendar boasts.

He was a healthy baby boy at 8 lbs. 6 ozs. Everything we had prayed for, as his sister had been born prematurely at 30 weeks gestation and spent the first month of her life in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. So we certainly celebrated the full term, bouncing, baby boy we had welcomed into the world! But after several weeks of what appeared to be "colic", my motherly instincts kicked in and I realized that there had to be something else making my sweet baby so unhappy and uncomfortable. There were many sleepless nights that my husband and I took turns caring for a screaming infant who could not be soothed. I made an ill child visit at 10 weeks old and our pediatrician immediately detected that Daniel was in tachycardia. He was rushed by ambulance to our local hospital where they were able to stabilize him. He was then life flighted to Hershey Medical Center. We were told he had supra ventricular tachycardia and that it would be controlled by medication. The day he was being discharged from the hospital, I noticed he was making strange movements with his arm and little hands and his eyes would roll to the side of his head. I had that sickening feeling every mom gets when they KNOW there is something wrong with their child but don't have the medical background to diagnose it on their own. I shared my concerns with the medical staff and we discovered Daniel was having seizures and thankfully had one in front of a nurse who was able to push for more examination. Over the following weeks, we discovered that Daniel had a PFO, or in laymen's terms, a hole in his heart. He suffered from tachycardia and seizure disorder. Daniel had two strokes while there. One stroke was to his brainstem. After prescribing all of his medications and teaching us how to care for our baby boy, Daniel was discharged with a blood clot in his heart. I felt as though we were taking a ticking time bomb home with us. Over time, the blood clot responded to the blood thinners and dissolved. After learning that Daniel had a stroke to his brainstem, we had no idea what kind of life our child would be able to lead. But with the help of our early intervention team, the specialists at Hershey Medical Center and our pediatrician, Daniel has had an amazing support system that has helped him become the two year old he is today. He has certainly overcome so many obstacles and has had occupational and speech therapy. He is our fighter and our miracle. Although the road has been quite a long one, we are so proud of his accomplishments and his strong will.

Today, Daniel walks and runs, talks and laughs...and it truly is the sweetest sound to this mommy's ears.


All active news articles

Share by

Display of the Faces of Stroke stories does not imply National Stroke Association's endorsement of any product, treatment, service or entity. National Stroke Association strongly recommends that people ask a healthcare professional about diagnosis and treatment questions before using any product, treatment or service. The views expressed through the stories reflect those of the authors and do not reflect the opinion of National Stroke Association.

Printer Friendly Version

National Stroke Association

9707 E. Easter Lane, Suite B
Centennial, CO 80112

Stroke Help Line logo