Text Size




Faces of Stroke - Logo 100px  transparent


Glaidice P.
Glaidice P.


On New Years Eve 2003, I was a very happy camper, because my love of one year had asked me to marry him and we had planned to announce it to his family at dinner that night. While getting dressed to impress, I had a mild headache and did what I usually do when that occurred, I took an envelope of powered aspirin (Stanback). I had a very stressful job working as a Legal Office Administrator and Legal Assistant to a high powered attorney, so I had been taking several packs of Stanback on a daily basis for months. Of course I knew better, but I thought that my pesto/pollo vegetarian lifestyle would balance out any damage I was doing to my system.

However, after taking the aspirin my left side seemed to feel numb as though it had gone to sleep. I thought it would subside but when it didn't I lay down for about 5 minutes, and then decided to call 911.  I wasn't quite sure what was happening but I knew something wasn't right. I told the operator I thought I was having a stroke. She asked if I could come to the door when EMS arrived and I told her no.  At that point I fell on the floor vomiting uncontrollably. I pulled myself as close to the door as possible (I lived in an apartment building) and that's where the EMT's found me, on the floor.

I had suffered a massive hemorrhagic stroke. My family was told I would not make it through the night. I was in a coma for several days, and awoke with complete paralysis on the left side. I didn't know anything about stroke at the time, and thought this was just a temporary situation that I would soon completely recover from. Of course this was not the case.

However, I think my story is different from many other survivors in that I insisted on going back to my apartment to live alone, rather than to either of my daughters' even though I was wheelchair bound and paralyzed on the left side.

I did not have a caregiver or any therapy after my 30 days in the hospital, but basically survived on my own by trial and error. My daughter grocery shopped and brought my medication to me once a month, but I cooked, cleaned, and cared for myself. Of course there's much more to my story but I'll end here by just saying that today I walk, drive, dance, and do most of what I use to, grateful that God gave me another chance at life. And yes, I still live happily alone and independent. 


All active news articles

Share by

Display of the Faces of Stroke stories does not imply National Stroke Association's endorsement of any product, treatment, service or entity. National Stroke Association strongly recommends that people ask a healthcare professional about diagnosis and treatment questions before using any product, treatment or service. The views expressed through the stories reflect those of the authors and do not reflect the opinion of National Stroke Association.

Printer Friendly Version

National Stroke Association

9707 E. Easter Lane, Suite B
Centennial, CO 80112

Stroke Help Line logo