Text Size




Faces of Stroke - Logo 100px  transparent

Costonia M.

Costonia M.
Costonia M.


A new outlook on life.... This is my second minor stroke, otherwise known as TIA. I experienced no paralysis with these strokes. My first one occurred on April 2, 2010. The second one occurred on September 23, 2010. I remember it like it was yesterday. I recall having a lot on my mind the day I had my first stroke. I wasn't really stressed out, but I was doing my everyday planning. Planning consisted of a weekly church work agenda for the various auxiliaries and community work I was also involved in.

That evening I went home, I felt light headed and had slurred speech. I contacted my mom to tell her I wasn't going to make it to dinner because I wasn't feeling well. I felt rather exhausted. She heard the stuttering in my speech and pleaded with me to go to the hospital. However, I was new to this crazy experience that was going on in my body. I was also a little afraid, so I said, "No. I just need to rest. I'll call you soon as I get home."

When I woke up the next day, I was relieved that the crazy experience was over. However, I knew I was going to the doctor's office to find out what was happening to me and to refill my blood pressure prescription.  It was 3pm when I dozed off to sleep while working at my desk. I had pains in my head but I didn't tell anyone. It was weird but I said to myself, "I can hold out one more hour." After all, I was going to the doctor's office right after work. I managed to make it to the doctor's office. When the nurse checked my pressure, she immediately went to get the doctor. He came toward me and asked me how I was feeling. My pressure was 166/105. Then he told me to remain calm, as he needed to rush me to hospital.

As he spoke to me, the slurring in my speech grew thick, my body grew weak and I lost control of my body. My body leaned toward my left. There was a tightness in my chest and sharp pain that ran down one side of my body. It happened so fast that I can't even recall which side.

It was scary, but I could hear my mom's calm voice say "keep calm" (although she was not with me at the time). All I know is that I wanted to call my family to let them know I was OK. Unfortunately, I couldn't because I had to have immediate medical attention. Today, I'm fully recovered through the help of doctors, taking my medicine daily, speech therapy, exercise and proper diet.  Although fully recovered, my life is completely changed. I no longer take my life for granted. I have given up some of my duties in ministry as well as community service work.

There's still a lot more I need to accomplish to stay healthy but I thank God I'm making  progress each day, step by step.


All active news articles

Share by

Display of the Faces of Stroke stories does not imply National Stroke Association's endorsement of any product, treatment, service or entity. National Stroke Association strongly recommends that people ask a healthcare professional about diagnosis and treatment questions before using any product, treatment or service. The views expressed through the stories reflect those of the authors and do not reflect the opinion of National Stroke Association.

Printer Friendly Version

National Stroke Association

9707 E. Easter Lane, Suite B
Centennial, CO 80112

Stroke Help Line logo